If you feel like you could say with David: “…I drench my couch with my tears” (from Psalm 6: A Prayer of Faith in Time of Distress), or discouragement has settled in, may these truths comfort you:
1. God is for you even if you don’t feel like He is. “If God is for us, who can be against us?” Romans 8:31
2. Jesus is not finished with all the good He will do for you. “…He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
3. God is in the business of restoring you spiritually, mentally, physically, and emotionally. “‘So I will restore to you the years that the swarming locust has eaten…’” Joel 2:25
4. Jesus’ love for you is not based on your goodness. “But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8
5. Jesus does not show favoritism. “For there is no partiality with God.” Romans 2:11
6. He may guide you to learn through a hardship, but when you hurt, He hurts with you. “In all their affliction He was afflicted, …In His love and in His pity He redeemed them; And He bore them and carried them all the days of old.” Isaiah 63:9
7. As soon as you ask for strength to do what is right, He is there. “God is our refuge and strength…” Psalm 46:1
8. Jesus has promised to come back and end the strife and pain. “‘And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. …’” Revelation 21:4
9. Jesus is a personal, mighty Savior. “Casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:7
10. God will bring good out of this tough time. “…the Lord your God turned the curse into a blessing for you, because the Lord your God loves you.” Deuteronomy 23:5
11. There is no person or item that gives you the peace Jesus offers. “‘Peace I leave with you, …not as the world gives do I give to you.’” John 14:27
12. Jesus sees the real you, and all the potential and value you have. “But if anyone loves God, this one is known by Him.” 1 Corinthians 8:3
13. Keep believing—God answers your prayers. “‘Call to Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know.’” Jeremiah 33:3
14. Failures don’t block you from coming closer to God. “‘…If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.’” Revelation 3:20
15. Jesus has gone through what happens after death and doesn’t want you to fear it. “But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren [sisters], concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 4:13-15
16. The Holy Spirit hears your heart cries when you are too upset to pray. “Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.” Romans 8:26
17. The reason God asks you to leave sin is that He knows it hurts you. “Do not be wise in your own eyes; Fear the Lord and depart from evil. It will be health to your flesh…” Proverbs 3:7-8
18. While God is most concerned with your spiritual health, He sees the little details in your life. “‘Are not two sparrows sold for a copper coin? And not one of them falls to the ground apart from your Father’s will. But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.’” Matthew 10:29-30
19. Jesus is planning an amazing home for you in Heaven where your heart will be satisfied at last. “But as it is written: ‘Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor have entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him.’” 1 Corinthians 2:9
20. God is perfect—people are not. Rely on Him for the guidance to do your best. “As for God, His way is perfect;…” 2 Samuel 22:31
21. Jesus took time to pray and rest during His earthly ministry, and thoughtful times will make a difference for you, too. “He went up on the mountain by Himself to pray….” Matthew 14:23
22. The Holy Spirit can change people’s hearts beyond your imagination. “I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you…” Ezekiel 36:26
23. God’s small blessings are around you each day. “Blessed be the Lord, Who daily loads us with benefits…” Psalm 68:19
24. There is so much more to discover about God. “Oh, the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are His judgments…” Romans 11:33
25. You are not alone. “‘…I am not alone, because the Father is with Me.’” John 16:32
Lies will be sent your way, you know they will, so replace them with the truth.
May “The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all. Amen.” 2 Corinthians 13:14. In the unchanging Trinity, we find our assurance in challenging times.
What’s your go-to encouraging scripture when life gets you down?
Young professional Emily writes encouragement from a small, western town. Two of her main focuses are nonprofits and family. Her life is filled with caring for kids, mountain photography, facebook ministry, sweet pets, and finding humor. Knowing what it was like to go through a difficult accident, she frequently illustrates hope as a graphic designer and writer. She is inspired by the extravagant kindness of Jesus’ kingdom.